FTC Announces PrivacyCon 2019
The agency is seeking research presentations on a wide range of consumer privacy and security issues, with a particular focus on the economics driving those issues. The FTC seeks research responding to several questions, including:
- What new privacy and security issues arise from emerging technologies such as the Internet of Things, artificial intelligence, and virtual reality?
- What are the greatest threats to consumer privacy today?
- How can one quantify the costs and benefits to consumers of keeping data about them private?
- What are the incentives for manufacturers and software developers to implement privacy and security by design in their goods or services and keep security up to date?
- Is there evidence that the market is able to provide efficient levels of privacy and data security?
PrivacyCon 2018 featured presentations on such topics as the privacy implications of email tracking, security issues with browser extensions, privacy risks associated with connected toys and consumer privacy expectations related to Internet of Things devices.